Re: Fwd: Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel clarification
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 16:20:08 +1100
On 13/11/09 14:09, Philipp Thomas wrote:
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:53:07 +1100, you wrote:

But surely suggesting what you did above that the kernel gives up if the
features are not available is a slight exaggeration? :-)

No it isn't! As Jeff said, PAE *requires* three level page tables and
if the processor doesn't offer them it will refuse to load. The memory
handling code relies on the number of page table levels available
(i.e. the indirection needed to resolve addresses) and can currently
only be changed by recompiling the kernel.

Philipp

Perhaps a slight misinterpretation of what you stated and I responded to.

In the first instance, my cpu does support pae - so that is not the issue.

But then you made the broad statement that the kernel gives up when a
feature is not available is what I was responding to and which I
suggested was an exaggeration.

I think that we both now know what we are on about here so I don't think
there is any need for further parrying with words, do you? :-) We still
friends? :-)

BC

--
I work to live not live to work.