Re: [opensuse-factory] unexpected / undocumented question during 11.1 -> 11.2 upgrade
  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 02:28:34 +0000
2009/11/12 Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi, it is quite simple. Answer is dependencies. After each update system
still
must working.

System, yes... but not everything, a dup is something drastic.

You want update zypper -> require new libzypp -> I think that old yast
bindings doesn't work with old libzypp due to ABI changes -> update yast

Yes, obviously yast depends on libzypp, but not the other way round. I can
understand that updating yast pulls all those deps, but as libzypp should
not depend on yast, I still do not see why updating libzypp should pull
yast.

Maybe I misunderstand the way a dependency works :-?

I guess it may be because "zypper dup" is not so special excepted at
the moment, in general it's probably a good idea to have the package
management tools having muually compatible versions during general
usage.

For example the Linux kernel cannot "depend" on glibc, yet if a
version of glibc was installed that required a 2.6.42 kernel, then a
sensible package manager is going to suggest doing that, or abandon
the glibc update.

Now, under the Fate item "Debian like dist-upgrade" when answering
"what is the Debian way on the dist-upgrade", the last stage when a
new version is available, before updating the 'sources' (Repository)
list, was to make sure the system was fully up to date. That is for
consistency, but also permits install of an upgrade kit should it be
necessary.

I think it's a flaw to install the new 'zypper' first, the one that
has to run on the new system. In principal the dist-upgrade is
happening on the current release. It would be possible for instance,
for the last update to install extra 1 off, converstion utilities to
mess with on-disk formats, hijack the shutdown or reboot process.

Why should the 11.3 zypper be burdened for ever more, with the ability
to prepare an 11.2 installation to 11.3? Surely the cruft belongs in
the obsoleted release where the tasks is yet to happen.

Perhaps updating the package tools, should be done, only when the
upgrade is 'committed'.

Rob