Re: Fwd: Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel clarification
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 12:21:08 +1100
On 12/11/09 05:08, Larry Stotler wrote:
On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 12:36 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The first thing I noticed is that the quality of the TV picture improved
(I watch TV on my computer) - no 'streaking' or 'stuttering' on some HD
channels.

This is encouraging. However, are you using 64bit or 32bit version?

The 32-bit version - and using the same cpu as your son has (3200+)

I've always noticed stuttering watching flash on my 64bit system under
11.0 and I have the default kernel installed(which would make sense
since I'm using 64bit and you don't use PAE when you are running in
64bit mode - actually, not sure why the PAE is even offered). I'm
debating upgrading this one to 11.2(except for KDE4 - still don't
really care for it - have it on my son's AthlonXP 3200+ and it's still
so much differenct from KDE3).

Don't let kde4 worry you. You'll get used to it in minutes.

The only thing is *not* to Enable all the desktop effects and save lots
of cpu cycles in not running all the eye-candy.

Also, download and compile the nVidia driver from nVidia. Makes a BIG
difference. The "default" excuse for an nvidia driver installed by 11.2
only gave me ~136fps (using glxgears), the compiled driver (190.42)
gives me ~3660fps.

BC

--
I work to live not live to work.