Re: Fwd: Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel clarification
  • From: Dean Hilkewich <deans.mail.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 14:50:27 -0600
On 09/11/11 2:45 PM, Larry Stotler wrote:

So, my question is why is it listed? In YaST/Software Management,
it's the only 32bit kernel listed. The other kernels like ppc64, ps3
aren't listed in Software Management.
Because it is a compatible architecture type to the processor. zypp won't list just the native architecture. What if for example, such as flash, where there is only one package for that is only a 32-bit build for or if you want for example to run a 32-bit version of a package? If you did try to change from the 64-bit kernel to a 32-bit I do believe that it will warn you that it is not compatible with the current install.

Dean