Re: Fwd: Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel clarification
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 16:36:36 +1100

On Tuesday, 2009-11-10 at 18:37 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

Thanks for this but, no, this is not the reference I am looking for.
This one is about a bug, but the one I want actually gave instructions
about what to alter in the parameters for the kernel before compiling it
to give, for example, Timer Frequency of 1000Hz instead of the default
of (?)250Hz.

Ah, that's one is easy, I don't need my archive ;-)

CONFIG_HZ_100 is not set
CONFIG_HZ_250=y
# CONFIG_HZ_300 is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_1000 is not set

at least in the sources of 11.0, I don't have installed those of 11.2
(to reduce download time during zypper dups)

(I did a grep for "time", then "250", then "CONFIG_HZ_" in the
linux/.config file to find it. As I say, easy ;-) )

[...]

Ugh. I'm attempting a zypper up on rc.2 and I'm getting multiple
download errors:

Failed to download SOMETHINGi586.rpm from
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.2/repo/oss/
Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i/?] (a): r

I have to do an "up", then "dup", then install the extra kernel, in
preparation for testing the other type of kernel. But with those
multiple retries it is going to fail overnight.

OK, I just installed 11.2 RC2 on another set of HDs (and then upgraded
to 11.2 GM using zypper dup). Everything works fine.

During the installation 11.2 determined that I needed the DEFAULT kernel
which - as we have been discussing - I wasn't going to have a bar of :-)
so using the Software option during the installation I deselected
kernel-default and chose kernel-desktop. (Also added kernel-desktop
source and devel - because I always compile my own nVidia driver).

All works perfectly - and the Timer Frequency is set to 1000hz in this
kernel.

The first thing I noticed is that the quality of the TV picture improved
(I watch TV on my computer) - no 'streaking' or 'stuttering' on some HD
channels.

I am writing this post back on my "main" computer which has the default
kernel installed but I will be replacing it with the desktop version
later tonight.

BTW, zypper, when upgrading the RC2 to GM, automatically restarted the
downloads (because I lost connection a number of times - happens when
there are thunderstorms in the vicinity :-( ).

FYI.

BC

--
I work to live not live to work.