Re: Fwd: Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel clarification
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 21:26:08 +0100 (CET)

On Tuesday, 2009-11-10 at 15:53 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

On 10/11/09 03:35, Jeff Mahoney wrote:
On 11/08/2009 01:57 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 08/11/09 06:54, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

No, that's exactly what happens. It examines the CPU feature set and
gives up if features aren't available.

In the case of PAE, it is because PAE requires 3 level page tables and
non-PAE requires 2 level page tables. They can't currently coexist.

But surely suggesting what you did above that the kernel gives up if the
features are not available is a slight exaggeration? :-) If this was
the case then for every installation the kernel would need to be
compiled in real time to suit the cpu being used. Or is this where
modules come into play and are loaded if required? I am not an expert
and so am simply asking to be 'heducated' :-) .

In the case of PAE, I believe the change is so basic that you need two entirely different kernels.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.