Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel clarification
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 01:22:05 +0100 (CET)

On Friday, 2009-11-06 at 19:39 -0600, Dean Hilkewich wrote:

On 11/06/2009 07:23 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

I do believe I outline the benefits right in the opening suggestion on
openfate when I proposed it.

I understood that as a sugestion of wanted fetures, not necesarily as what it finally came out. The link is long, several people argue points, so it doesn't make for a clear (and reasonable quick) understanding of what we really get with each kernel version.

The reduced latency allows for a more
responsive feeling when being used as a desktop and presents fewer
issues when it comes to items like multimedia, ogl and wine apps.
Things like pulseaudio, should you choose to use it, should present less
of an issue when it comes to synchronization and latency. The
configuration of the desktop kernel was created to address such issues.
The default kernel is more suited to a overall "one-size-fits-all"
approach to a kernel that will work in a desktop/workstation/server
situation but really doesn't offer the best config for the various
possible roles. Since openSUSE is primarily used in a desktop scenario
where bandwidth, group policies, etc were rarely needed it was decided
to tune it more akin to a desktop scenario use where items like
responsiveness make an impression on the end user.

Yes, that seems reasonable, but I suppose there is more to it.

Out of curiousity how did you guys install (liveCD or DVD install,
32-bit or 64-bit and system configs).

32 bits, DVD, and defaults, I think. I selected some extra packages. I don't remember the install asking what was my intended usage, in order to select one kernel or another, not even that there were a kernel type choice, as far as I remember.

The CPU has PAE.

nimrodel:~ # cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -i pae
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm up pebs bts

model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.