Re: [opensuse-factory] unexpected / undocumented question during 11.1 -> 11.2 upgrade
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 16:52:47 -0500
On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 4:13 PM, AR <ar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Montag 09 November 2009 21:50:37 schrieb Greg Freemyer:
Okay,

I decided to try out the <http://en.opensuse.org/Upgrade/11.2> process
via zypper.  (I had been testing wagon, because I assumed others were
testing zyperr.)

I did the same a few days ago and all went fine.

I first updated my repos as requested in:
<http://en.opensuse.org/Upgrade/11.2#CLI>

You have to, otherwise upgrading won't work ;)
Don't forget your other repositories (Packman, KDE4 and all the others). You
have to adapt repository Path to 11.2, too

I'm trying to follow the actual instructions which say to disable all
repos. Then I added only the 3 11.2 repos listed.

I had Packman / KDE4 etc. in my repo list for 11.1, but as of this
test, they are all disabled, so I assume I don't have to adapt the
paths until I want to enable them. Which for me will be after the
upgrade.

It is the results of zypper in zypper that I find very unexpected.

At a minimum the Upgrade page needs to warn users to expect this
extreme behavior is what is expected.  See below:

Which extreme behaviour?
Most packages will get upgraded, some downgraded. You can press '?' or 'v'
before doing an upgrade. 'v' will show you a verbose list of what changes will
happen on your installed packages.

I'm just trying upgrade one package "zypper". I was not expecting 172
MB of download and what looks like hundreds of packages to be upgraded
/ downgraded.

Sure I expect that when I run "zypper dup", but I'm only at the
"zypper in zypper" stage.

And if it is right, then I think the wiki page should warn the user
that this rather innocuous looking command to update a single small
package is going to pull lots of data and packages.

===============
Is that all right?

Looks okay, but you really have to adapt your repositories.

Beyond what I already did?

If you look at my original email just after the sig, I show that all
the old repos were disabled and the 3 new 11.2 repos added and
enabled. I think that is all that is needed. If not, the Upgrade
instructions don't detail what is needed.

Regards

--
Axel

Greg