Re: Fwd: Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel clarification
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 10:51:55 +0100
Subject: Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel clarification
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 17:37:08 +1100
From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: opensuse-factory@xxxxxxxxxxxx

On 08/11/09 06:54, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On Saturday 07 November 2009 03:06:19 Basil Chupin wrote:
Forgot to mention: the CPU is AMD XP 3200+, 1.5GB RAM, 2x 500GB HDs,

The desktop kernel needs AFAIR PAE support, I'm not sure your CPU has it
- that might be the reason for the installation of the default one.

In general: kernel-desktop runs on "newer" hardware only, kernel-default
runs also on some older,

Andreas

Thanks for this Andreas, but then the puzzlement deepens because in 11.1
the pae kernel was installed on my computer. See the attached menu.lst.

I suggest to open a bugreport to get this resolved, I'm surprised as well but
don't know everything ;).

I don't have earlier versions of oS installed on HDs so cannot check but
I seem to recall the the pae kernel was also installed by at least one
other earlier version of oS.

I also remember "fiddling" with a copy of the kernel in 11.1 to compile
my own which had the (?some of the) qualities now in the desktop kernel
eg,the Timer Frequency set to 1000Hz.

Am I wrong or isn't it the situation that if the kernel is compiled with
parameters selected but which, in fact, are not available in the CPU
then the kernel still does its job and uses those which ARE available?
That is, it doesn't have a hernia, throw up its hands and runs off
screaming into the distance :-) .

This works in some cases but not everywhere AFAIK,

Andreas
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany