Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel clarification
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 12:49:10 +1100

On Saturday, 2009-11-07 at 11:45 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

I have the same situation as Carlos: 11.2 automatically installed
kernel-default and not the *-desktop. It was a "clean" install (on brand
new HDs).

Apart from the "Why did the installer do this?", how do I change to the
*-desktop kernel? Uninstall the default and at the same time select
desktop (and let nature take its course)?

Or install both and choose at boot time... but we need to know what
advantages/disadvantages we get, in order to choose correctly.

The way I read the reference which Dean provided, the opening statement
pretty well summarises what the desktop kernel is about:

QUOTE

It seems to me that the current default kernels are somewhat hurting
openSUSE's performance perception. Current kernel configs are OK but are
not very well suited for desktop usage. In the future I would like to
see a kernel package that is optimized for desktop usage. Current timer
settings and no preemption really (sometimes drastically) hurts openGL
performance and applications such as wine and causes alot of issues such
as audio studdering. It would be nice to see a separate desktop
performance kernel package with options such as Preemption model set to
Preemptable Kenel (low-latency Desktop) and Timer Frequency Set to 1000
Hz, HPET support, Tickless System, disable optimize for size, disable
Control Group support and disable Group CPU scheduler. You could also
disable items and modules that are extremely rare in a desktop
environment such as ATM support, Infiniband etc etc as these are not
typically used in a desktop scenario which would be a large majority of
openSUSE users. Further performance enhancements would also be done
through out the system aimed at desktop use as well such as disabling
barriers (even making it a simple checkmark option in the partitioner).
Such optimizations for desktop usage can overcome openSUSE's reputation
as being slower then the other mainstream distro's. The kernel settings
alone can make up to a 30-40% increase in framerates in wine games for
example and can cure alot of hiccups in multimedia apps.

UNQUOTE

After the above, from the verbal exchanges by the various Initials I
could gather that the pae kernel will only be installed if there is a
flag set to indicate that you have at least 4GB of RAM installed and
that a server kernel will be installed if you are running a server;
after that what is called a default kernel and what is called a legacy
kernel becomes kinda confusing - except perhaps that the legacy kernel
may be the one which is installed on i386 machines. But don't take my
word about any of this! :-)

BC

--
The chief cause of problems is solutions.