Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel clarification
  • From: Dean Hilkewich <deans.mail.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 19:39:24 -0600

On Saturday, 2009-11-07 at 11:45 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

I have the same situation as Carlos: 11.2 automatically installed
kernel-default and not the *-desktop. It was a "clean" install (on brand
new HDs).

Apart from the "Why did the installer do this?", how do I change to the
*-desktop kernel? Uninstall the default and at the same time select
desktop (and let nature take its course)?

Or install both and choose at boot time... but we need to know what
advantages/disadvantages we get, in order to choose correctly.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

I do believe I outline the benefits right in the opening suggestion on
openfate when I proposed it. The reduced latency allows for a more
responsive feeling when being used as a desktop and presents fewer
issues when it comes to items like multimedia, ogl and wine apps.
Things like pulseaudio, should you choose to use it, should present less
of an issue when it comes to synchronization and latency. The
configuration of the desktop kernel was created to address such issues.
The default kernel is more suited to a overall "one-size-fits-all"
approach to a kernel that will work in a desktop/workstation/server
situation but really doesn't offer the best config for the various
possible roles. Since openSUSE is primarily used in a desktop scenario
where bandwidth, group policies, etc were rarely needed it was decided
to tune it more akin to a desktop scenario use where items like
responsiveness make an impression on the end user.

Out of curiousity how did you guys install (liveCD or DVD install,
32-bit or 64-bit and system configs).

Dean