Re: [opensuse-factory] Feature #308284: Ship openSUSE 11.2
  • From: MasterPatricko <masterpatricko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 11:28:47 +0000
Stefan Seyfried wrote:
I do not want to install 11.2 - I want to keep FACTORY (means: I want
to have newer packages ASAP after 11.2). If I now switch to 11.2, I
will stay at the outdated stuff or I will have to switch repos again,
which is painful IMHO

The purpose of Factory is not to have all the newest packages, it is to
begin creating the next release. openSUSE is and will remain for the
foreseeable future a release-focused distribution. Either wait a few
weeks or if you want rolling updates so badly look at Arch or something.
Realistically, I expect that there is nothing new checked into FACTORY
right now, but I at least expect FACTORY to be at the same level as
11.2 and not older. (And yes, a recent kernel, without security holes,
would be nice. It really is a pity that the FACTORY users are kept
insecure deliberately.)

The changes that went into 11.2 at the last minute will be synced back
out to Factory, just hold on, give the team a chance to release 11.2
then they will come back and look at such things. Saying they are
keeping Factory users deliberately insecure is disingenuous at best and
quite unfair, please respect the fact that a release takes up 100% of
people's time.

Regards,

MasterPatricko