Re: [opensuse-factory] 11.2 RC2 more updated than factory??????
  • From: houghi <houghi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 07:47:06 +0100
On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 04:04:55PM +0000, David wrote:
Hello,

I am a newbie in OpenSuse, I decided to use Factory (I have used
Debian sid and Arch), and if I screw the system at any time, I will
install the stable version of OpenSuse :-)

Factory is more a procesess then a distribution version. This means that
unless you are using it to test factory (and thus new openSUSE versions)
you WILL run into situations where your system WILL break down completely.

I thought that Factory had the newest software, with the risk of less
stability.

Less stability is not a risk, it is a given. At least for Factory. And
thus is it not adviced to use it on any operational machine.

But I see that the factory repository has the version 3.5.3
of Firefox, whereas the factory-snapshot repository (11.2 RC2) has
version 3.5.4. How can a *snapshot* have a newer version???

All work is now focussed on getting 11.2 out, so factory will lag behind.

Also, I would like to ask whether factory actually has the newest
versions compared to other OpenSuse's repos, or not.

In general, yes. In fact it is so new that often things won't work. It is
the develpment distribution that will change all the time and is highly
instable.

PS: Can you please kindly Cc to me any reply?

You should be on the mailinglist and thus get the messagers. If not, then
Factory might not be for you.

houghi
--
How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Iraq?
How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?