Re: [opensuse-factory] 11.2 RC2 more updated than factory??????
  • From: phanisvara das <phani00@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 22:28:05 +0530
On Sunday 01 November 2009 09:34:55 pm David wrote:
I thought that Factory had the newest software, with the risk of less
stability. But I see that the factory repository has the version 3.5.3
of Firefox, whereas the factory-snapshot repository (11.2 RC2) has
version 3.5.4. How can a *snapshot* have a newer version???

if you want the latest version available that's reasonably stable, to use
for your work environment, i'd suggest to use openSUSE 11.2. that's pretty
stable, due to be released in 10 days or so.

after that factory is going to become very bumpy for a while, since that's
where new ideas for the next release are being put together and tried out.
the closer it comes to the next release the stabler factory gets, but during
the beginning of a new cycle i wouldn't recommend using factory, thinking
you'll get the latest software in a workable environment.

once you got a stable system you can add repositories from the oS build
service, where you find versions programs that aren't included in the
standard repo.s.

--
phani.