Re: [opensuse-factory] Installing 11.2 on a computer with other Linux distros
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 11:43:22 +0100
The problem is that "all other settings are default". You should have told
grub to install on /dev/sdb2, so as not to touch your "main" grub, which I
assume is the one from ubuntu.

OK, I tried again... clean install of Ubuntu 9.10, accepting all
defaults and installing on the first partition. no special setup or
options set.

Then I installed 11.2RC2 from the 32 bit DVD iso, accepting all
defaults with no special tweaking. It offered to install on the
second partition (which is what I wanted), but it does not find the
Ubuntu 9.10 install on the first partition at all. In theory I can
manually tweak Grub to find/boot Ubuntu, but if you're not a Grub
expert, this is NOT an easy task.

If I reverse the install order, installing 11.2 first, and then Ubuntu
9.10, Ubuntu will find and set up openSUSE 11.2 in the Ubuntu version
of the Grub boot menu.

Both root partitions are ext4 (if that has any relevance, I don't know).

I also tried changing Grub to the MBR (clickable link/option in the
openSUSE installer) and then re-running the scan to set up Grub..
still nothing, only 11.2 is available.

C.