Re: [opensuse-factory] Installing 11.2 on a computer with other Linux distros
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 07:34:29 +0100
The problem is that "all other settings are default". You should have told
grub to install on /dev/sdb2, so as not to touch your "main" grub, which I
assume is the one from ubuntu.

Ummm... so what has changed from 11.1? I do the exact same install
scenario with 11.1 and 11.1 installer finds and sets up the other OSes
just fine... or if Ubuntu is the "last installed OS" then the Ubuntu
Grub/boot menu is automagically set up correctly with openSUSE 11.2 as
a selectable OS.

There are two possibilities.

Ubuntu could have installed grub in the MBR (in which case use ubuntu repair
tools to restore it), or it could have installed a generic MBR code, and
grub in /dev/sda1, in which case it should have marked /dev/sda1 as
bootable. In that case you have to ensure that the MBR contains generic
code, and remark sda1 as bootable if sda2 is marked now.

Or something of the sort, I missed you have two disks. I'm a bit sleepy to
review the above in that light O:-)

Only one hard drive... If I have to re-mark sda1 as bootable... well..
simply put, if this is the case, we are going to have a lot of very
unhappy Ubuntu users when they try installing 11.2. Is this really
the case here? or is there something else going on?

I "can" manually fiddle with Grub to get it to boot, but that is a bit
messy and unwieldy.  This is something that used to work fine... has
something changed? or have I missed something?

What has "changed" is that you have to pay careful attention to what the
installer says it is going to do, and correct it if necessary. Never trust
it to make the right decision, specially if your setup is a bit "different".

Right, but... I'm am simply comparing to a previous openSUSE install.
My setup isn't really different than anything I have done for years.
Basically I partition my drive up with 15GB partitions for each
potential root install, add a swap and home partition, and then
install building up from the least used OS (eg Windows) to the primary
OS as the last installed (that would be openSUSE 11.2). I've never
had to worry about Grub at all. In this scenario in all past
installs, Grub has always "got it right", found all installed OSes,
and set them up in the openSUSE boot menu (my preferred boot menu).
With 11.2, it's simply not doing this. All I ever see is 11.2.

As i said, I can fiddle with Grub and set up the other Linux installs,
but... why am I forced to do this now? I've tested this on two
different computers (the netbook, and on my desktop/server) now, and I
am seeing the exact same pattern... once 11.2 is installed, all I see
is 11.2 in the Grub menu... if 11.1 is also installed, I end up seeing
TWO openSUSE boot menus.. one that has 11.2 and 11.1 in it, and when I
select 11.1, I'm handed off to a SECOND openSUSE boot menu where I'
have to select 11.1 a second time to boot 11.1. Something is really
odd with the 11.2 Grub/boot menu set up....

C.