Re: [opensuse-factory] Status: distribution
  • From: Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 17:46:28 +0200
On Tuesday 29 of September 2009, Jay Mistry wrote:
I am not a programmer. I have no programming skills. All I can do is to
report about hassles.

Same here, from a non-technical (non-IT) background.

So you want to help, even if you have no programming skills? How about
helping with bug triage then, for example?

http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/BugSquashing ,
http://en.opensuse.org/Bugs:KDE/Screening have instructions for KDE. Since
you seem to use GNOME, I don't know if GNOME has such a page, but if you
write to the opensuse-gnome list, I'm pretty sure Vincent and others will be
happy to hear you'd like to help them with it.

Do you use openSUSE w/ Ubuntu ? I am using Ubuntu 9.04 alongwith
openSUSE 11.1; though I find oS 11.1 is not as stable as Ubuntu.
Sometime back I tried to change the Window Manager (am using GNOME as
the default desktop in Ubuntu 9.04) from Metacity to Emerald using the
Compiz Fusion Icon utility and ended-up with half the icons lost/not
working as expected from the panels. After a reboot, the panel sorted
itself out without any user intervention and the icons & shortcuts
worked perfectly. Sadly, can't say the same about GNOME in openSUSE
11.1 at this point.

You do realize that Ubuntu 9.04 is about half a year newer than 11.1, with a
newer GNOME version, and that as such this may have nothing to do with the
actual distribution?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer