Re: [opensuse-factory] Status: distribution
  • From: Jay Mistry <jaylinux53@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 20:55:34 +0530
I am not a programmer. I have no programming skills. All I can do is to
report about hassles.

Same here, from a non-technical (non-IT) background.

5 years ago I had pride in waiting to get my copy of the latest SuSE and
I had spoken with confidence to my friends using anything other than
SuSE about the joy of using SuSE.

Now I keep my mouth shut, and if asked about Linux I point them towards
Ubuntu/Kubuntu and, in recent times, towards Arch Linux.

Do you use openSUSE w/ Ubuntu ? I am using Ubuntu 9.04 alongwith
openSUSE 11.1; though I find oS 11.1 is not as stable as Ubuntu.
Sometime back I tried to change the Window Manager (am using GNOME as
the default desktop in Ubuntu 9.04) from Metacity to Emerald using the
Compiz Fusion Icon utility and ended-up with half the icons lost/not
working as expected from the panels. After a reboot, the panel sorted
itself out without any user intervention and the icons & shortcuts
worked perfectly. Sadly, can't say the same about GNOME in openSUSE
11.1 at this point.

I'm hoping that openSUSE 11.2 will be a stabler release and am looking
forward to install that on my PC in place of openSUSE 11.1.

Jay

--
Linux User 483705 | openSUSE 11.1, Ubuntu 9.04 (i686) w/ Windows XP
Smolts Profile: