Re: [opensuse-factory] Status: distribution
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 01:08:36 +1000
On 09/29/2009 11:42 PM, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
On 9/29/2009 at 15:31, Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The question therefore has to be asked: what *DO* Novell/openSUSE staff
contribute to the openSUSE distribution - apart from "You will have to
fix the bug"?

Why do we keep considering Novell anything else than just a community member
with big commitment?

Because Novell went out its way to acquire SuSE for its own benefit and
not for the sake of a "community" effort.

I think I'm allowed to say that, even if I am not a
Novell employee, I feel this to be 'my' distribution. I feel as an integral
part of the community and participate in different ways, offering a lot of
time. As such: Novell offers the same to the openSUSE distribution as other
contributors (I'd say even more: nobody else I've talked to offered us a
BuildService and the infrastructure for example)

You seem to treat this thing akin to a religious experience where
"community" is some group of people adhering to one of the multitude of
beliefs relating to some code of moral conduct as propounded by some
religious enterprises.

It is nothing of the sort. I have been an "adherant" and an "apostle" of
SuSE (now openSUSE) for many years until recently. I am getting very,
very close to converting to being an 'atheist' when it comes to oS.

About the case itself:
Per is doing a great job in submitting reports and as I've seen he's also one
that follows up on additional queries (not everybody does so
unfortunately... Very often you see a 'file and bye' approach). But wouldn't
it be great if we could just convince Per to go one step further? It's
not that he is 'requested' to do so, but very often just giving often enough
a hint in the right direction motivates people to look at something new /
more.

Don't take the 'help fix it' as offensive. It's a rather natural way of
'suggesting' that everybody can learn something new. Of course it might well
be that Per does not have the time to invest in this specific case, or not
the will. BUT maybe he is willing and just does not know how to get started
for such a case? Why would we (community) not want to have him help out with
all his knowledge, which, as hopefully nobody doubts, is of great value?

Take this as a call for contribution: we all can help, in whatever way you
can even think of... Programming / fixing code bugs is one way, reporting
another appreciated. And many more tasks can be listed.... very often the
step from reporting to fixing is actually not that big a gap as expected
(not every fix involves code changes for example... ).

Per has been contributing for quite some time now but - and I do not
even begin to assume that I convey his thoughts in any accurate way - I
feel that he is now getting just a bit peed off (MY words, not his)
about the situation with oS as it has been developing in recent times.

I know that I am.

I am not a programmer. I have no programming skills. All I can do is to
report about hassles. And I do *NOT* mean having to submit "bug reports"
about something which does not even work to begin with when it should
work and should have been tested by the programmers/developers before
the sheebang was released for download by the public- and cost the
public time and money to download the crap (example: CDs which were
(?)~400MB big when they should have been ~700MB big).

5 years ago I had pride in waiting to get my copy of the latest SuSE and
I had spoken with confidence to my friends using anything other than
SuSE about the joy of using SuSE.

Now I keep my mouth shut, and if asked about Linux I point them towards
Ubuntu/Kubuntu and, in recent times, towards Arch Linux.

Dominique

BC

--
Never run yourself down - let other people do it instead.