Re: [opensuse-factory] Status: distribution
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 15:42:43 +0200
On 9/29/2009 at 15:31, Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The question therefore has to be asked: what *DO* Novell/openSUSE staff
contribute to the openSUSE distribution - apart from "You will have to
fix the bug"?

Why do we keep considering Novell anything else than just a community member
with big commitment? I think I'm allowed to say that, even if I am not a
Novell employee, I feel this to be 'my' distribution. I feel as an integral
part of the community and participate in different ways, offering a lot of
time. As such: Novell offers the same to the openSUSE distribution as other
contributors (I'd say even more: nobody else I've talked to offered us a
BuildService and the infrastructure for example)

About the case itself:
Per is doing a great job in submitting reports and as I've seen he's also one
that follows up on additional queries (not everybody does so
unfortunately... Very often you see a 'file and bye' approach). But wouldn't it
be great if we could just convince Per to go one step further? It's
not that he is 'requested' to do so, but very often just giving often enough a
hint in the right direction motivates people to look at something new /
more.

Don't take the 'help fix it' as offensive. It's a rather natural way of
'suggesting' that everybody can learn something new. Of course it might well
be that Per does not have the time to invest in this specific case, or not the
will. BUT maybe he is willing and just does not know how to get started
for such a case? Why would we (community) not want to have him help out with
all his knowledge, which, as hopefully nobody doubts, is of great value?

Take this as a call for contribution: we all can help, in whatever way you can
even think of... Programming / fixing code bugs is one way, reporting
another appreciated. And many more tasks can be listed.... very often the step
from reporting to fixing is actually not that big a gap as expected
(not every fix involves code changes for example... ).

Dominique