Re: [opensuse-factory] Packman and oS 11.2
  • From: Dave Plater <dave.plater@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 17:35:44 +0200
On 09/07/2009 02:40 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
houghi wrote:

On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 11:03:27PM +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

I spent hours today downloading the missing dependencies for compiling
the source (using rpmbuild) for use with kaffeine and xine -- and after
much farting around by the rpmbuild it came up with the message that it
exited with an Error 1. So, all the time and effort was a total waste of
time and effort.

It is indeed a pain to compile. I never had it working either. That is why
I apreciate Packman so much for doing it for me. It is a pity that you see
it as a waste of time, jusy because the result was not as you expected.

I would call it a lesson learned, whatever you take away from it.

That is another way at looking at it :-) .

But "learning lessons" by having to spend hours downloading files and
therefore using up many MBs from one's monthly download limit is not
really the most efficient way of "learning".

It only teaches that one must avoid any MS offerings and leave all the
'testing' to others.

But this is rather strange as well because I do not recall having this
problem (re xine/kaffeine) in earlier betas of oS - ie, before the code
word "MS" was introduced. But I am probably wrong.

You could go to the list where they discuss compiling with rpmbuild (not
sure which one that is) and see if they can help you out there.

Good idea. I'll see what I can do with regards to this.

houghi

BC

If you install the source package using, for instance xine-libs, zypper
si -r Packman xine-lib then all the necessary devel packages are
automatically installed as well. You can search for source packages with
zypper se -st srcpackage xine to get a listing of matching source
packages and the repository they're in. The spec file is installed in
/usr/src/packages/SPECS, simply execute as root :-
rpmbuild -bb /usr/src/packages/SPECS/xine-libs.spec to build the rpms
which will be in /usr/src/packages/RPMS under their arch directory i.e.
i386, i486, i586, i686, noarch or x86_64
Regards
Dave P