Re: [opensuse-factory] Packman and oS 11.2
  • From: houghi <houghi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 17:47:02 +0200
On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 11:03:27PM +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
No idea. If jou need your computer to work, use 11.1. Using 11.2 for a
machine you _must_ use is asking for problems.

No, the 11.2 "machine" (actually 2 HDs sitting in cradles and
interchangable with my 'main' system) is only intended to be used for
testing.

OK.

If there is some reason
that you want to test 11.2 now and be able to also test its video
capabilities, so that in mid november you are sure to install 11.2, then
best compile everything yourself concerning the video parts.

But isn't 11.2 due out around that time? So doing any testing with
missing features is not really "testing".

Indeed. If Packman is what you want to test as well, you must wait till
they see fit to make it available and test then.

I spent hours today downloading the missing dependencies for compiling
the source (using rpmbuild) for use with kaffeine and xine -- and after
much farting around by the rpmbuild it came up with the message that it
exited with an Error 1. So, all the time and effort was a total waste of
time and effort.

It is indeed a pain to compile. I never had it working either. That is why
I apreciate Packman so much for doing it for me. It is a pity that you see
it as a waste of time, jusy because the result was not as you expected.

I would call it a lesson learned, whatever you take away from it.

You could go to the list where they discuss compiling with rpmbuild (not
sure which one that is) and see if they can help you out there.

houghi
-- Blair Houghton