Re: [opensuse-factory] Disaster -- was No updates of any description to 11.2 (MS6)?
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 22:32:31 +1000
Anders Johansson wrote:
On Saturday 05 September 2009 09:15:05 I wrote:

root (hd0,0)
kernel=/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2
initrd=/boot/initrd
boot

That should bring up your system.

Just to state the bleedin' obvious: naturally you need to replace the hd0,0
and sda2 in the above with the disk and partition that fits your system

Anders

As promised, I am now reporting on my attempt to resurrect the
installation of 11.2 MS6.

When I went to do what you suggested I remembered that I had a copy of
the *System Rescue Disc* and, therefore, first used it to see if I could
recover. I was successful.

I mounted /dev/sda1, where I thought /boot was located. Using mc
(midnight commander), I looked at menu.lst.old and saw that it was
showing the right parameters, renamed it to menu.lst (to overwrite the
rubbish one causing all the trouble after all the updates), and
rebooted. I was then back in 11.2 MS6.

Thank you once again for pointing me in the direction on how to regain
my installation of 11.2.

BC

--
"There are none so blind as those who will not see."