Re: [opensuse-factory] Disaster -- was No updates of any description to 11.2 (MS6)?
  • From: Oddball <monkey9@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 15:18:21 +0200
Basil Chupin schreef:

I use the Rescue option on the (11.1) DVD and I am informed that I have
no Linux system installed.

Suggestions about how to recover the already-installed oS would be
greatly appreciated.

BC

Basil,

I don't want to patronize, but another way is to start the installer
(from your 11.1DVD) and go until you get the options to update or
install new, and choose the other option to repair system.
Then choose the expert option, next: boot installed system or os.
You will get all your bootable linux-root partitions mentioned.
Here you can pick the one you want.
(Offcourse if the 'install a new bootloader' option doesn't work.)
If the install you want to boot is 11.2, and it doesn't, you can boot 11.1.
From there you can open /boot/grub/menu.lst, to correct the entrances,
with Alt+F2 kdesu kate.

(It might have been handy if you made a copy of this list into your
~/home, so you can copy and paste working entrances to the menu.lst;
might be an option to do that right after your system is allright again...)

If you have to write the entrances yourself, you can take the 11.1 ones,
and replace the '1' with '2', look in /boot, to find the correct
kernel- and initrd naming, for the case you have more kernels stored
there, and replace the kernel- and initrd-number, and the partition number.
After saving, everything should work fine again...
Just reboot, and see what happens..
(this is always a surprise though when testing alpha's and beta's... ;)

Good luck...

--

Enjoy your time around,

Oddball, aka M9.