Re: [opensuse-factory] No updates of any description to 11.2 (MS6)?
  • From: Per Osbäck <per@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 13:33:15 +0200
On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 13:14:27 +0200, Martin Schlander
<martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Fredag den 4. september 2009 11:58:36 skrev Per Osbäck:
hmm...ok..so I won't be notified about updates from build service repos
then!?

If I want to follow the latest KDE after 11.2 is released for example I
have to manually check for updates using zypper up?

Personally I think it should offer all available updates. It doesn't
make
sense that I have make use of several tools to update my system,
especially
when there is the build service that builds against 11.2.
If I add a repo, I want to be notifed about updates from the repo.

It's a very old discussion, which has been had many times before.

In my mind it makes perfect sense - you use zypper
patch/kupdateapplet/YOU
*fix* your system (patches). Most users expect updates suggested by the
updater applet to be safe to install.

And you use zypper up/yast2 sw_single to *break* your system (packman,
OBS
repos).

(and 'zypper dup' to distupgrade your factory which is usually about
50/50
breakage and fixage) >:-)

It might be desirable for experts that the applet has the (non-default)
option
to show all updates, like it did with zypp backend, but I don't think
the
packagekit backend supports that, not sure whether the zypp backend is
still
available in 11.2.

yes I know it has been discussed before, though I don't think it's very
clear how it works for the enduser.
if a user is capable enough to add a repository he might also expect to be
offered updates for it.
on the other hand he might then also be capable of starting a terminal and
doing zypper up.

in my scenario where I "helped" someone to add a repo for openSUSE, I have
to explain that "don't forget to manually check for updates every
week/month".

but if this is the wanted behaviour, like you say, maybe a checkbox in the
updater to be able to get all updates with the explanation the this might
break your system.

per