Re: [opensuse-factory] No updates of any description to 11.2 (MS6)?
  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 13:14:27 +0200
Fredag den 4. september 2009 11:58:36 skrev Per Osbäck:
hmm...ok..so I won't be notified about updates from build service repos
then!?

If I want to follow the latest KDE after 11.2 is released for example I
have to manually check for updates using zypper up?

Personally I think it should offer all available updates. It doesn't make
sense that I have make use of several tools to update my system, especially
when there is the build service that builds against 11.2.
If I add a repo, I want to be notifed about updates from the repo.

It's a very old discussion, which has been had many times before.

In my mind it makes perfect sense - you use zypper patch/kupdateapplet/YOU to
*fix* your system (patches). Most users expect updates suggested by the
updater applet to be safe to install.

And you use zypper up/yast2 sw_single to *break* your system (packman, OBS
repos).

(and 'zypper dup' to distupgrade your factory which is usually about 50/50
breakage and fixage) >:-)

It might be desirable for experts that the applet has the (non-default) option
to show all updates, like it did with zypp backend, but I don't think the
packagekit backend supports that, not sure whether the zypp backend is still
available in 11.2.