Re: [opensuse-factory] Packman and oS 11.2
  • From: houghi <houghi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 08:35:35 +0200
On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 03:09:42PM +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
Thanks for the response. Looks like that I have no other choice because
I cannot really think of installing 11.2/KDE43 for a better "look-see"
as I use the digital TV quite a bit (I haven't looked at a real
television set for some years now).

11.2 should not be installed on an operational machine. 11.2 M* is still in
development and things WILL break. (Sometimes I think developers break
things to remember you that it is still in development. ;-)

I need libxine1-codecs (at least) for xine/kaffeine to work. In the
software management of YaST this file is shown as available but when
selected the error message comes up stating that nothing provides this
rpm (even though the packman repo is selected).

Could be anything and when using an 11.1 repo with 11.2 M6, it could be
unlikely that somebody will take the time to resolve it unless something
very trivial.

I am wondering why such
a codecs file would need to be altered in some way (recompiled) to work
with 11.2 and not be "provided" in its 11.1 form?

No idea. If jou need your computer to work, use 11.1. Using 11.2 for a
machine you _must_ use is asking for problems. If there is some reason
that you want to test 11.2 now and be able to also test its video
capabilities, so that in mid november you are sure to install 11.2, then
best compile everything yourself concerning the video parts.

What I would do is if I was dependent of Packman is prospone the
testperiod to mid november. If that were not possible, then I would be
testing 11.1 now and use that for the next year.

houghi
--
How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Iraq?
How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?