[opensuse-factory] openSUSE 11.2 and maintenance
  • From: Dirk Müller <dmueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 17:49:52 +0200
Hi,

its time to start thinking about how we want to manage updates to openSUSE
11.2 when it is released. I think it is a good idea to incrementally open up
the process of releasing updates to the community so that everybody can submit
updates.

While talking to various people we came up with the following proposal:

- the openSUSE community proposes an update policy

- the openSUSE community comes up with a devel project layout for all
packages in 11.2 (probably similar to the layout in factory)

- maintenance updates are triggered by asking for a SWAMPID in bugzilla like
usual

- there will be an externally accessible "simple" interface to SWAMP where
anyone can submit a patchinfo (this has to be developed). Due to time
constraints we can not open up the internal workflow tracking to the outside as
no proper ACL support can be implemented in time for 11.2.

- package updates can be submitted against openSUSE:11.2:Update

- A group of openSUSE people (both community and Novell internal, I suggest 5
people) reviews update submissions if they're in line with the opensuse update
policy and coordinates their releases. Unclear how to bootstrap this group.
This group is also responsible for handling security updates with coordinated
release with care.

- To ensure timely release of security updates, each devel group for 11.2 must
contain at least one Novell employee. We can think about relaxing this for
future openSUSE releases.

Comments,opinions, feedback?

Thanks,
Dirk