[opensuse-factory] status distribution
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 11:08:51 +0200
Hi,

It's not exactly green and not exactly red, it's rather yellowish. At the
moment we have basically two problems: getting down the build failures
resulting out of glibc 2.10 updates (while automake 1.11 is already at the
horizon).

Reorg of factory is happening happily next to it and I hope to get the live
cds building today again.

At the same time we experiment with -as-needed being the default option and
see quite a lot of new build failures, so I'm not sure we will see that.

Let me give you some background on this: as-needed changes the way the linked
handles shared libraries and is promoted mainly by gentoo devs (see
http://bugs.gentoo.org/234710 and
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml). As you can see in the later
link, the section of benefits is _much_ shorter than the section with problems
(even though a lot of the problems are gentoo specific).

So there is one reason why we would want it: people say openSUSE is slow and
others are faster because ..., use as-needed, ... Noone so far could explain
why as-needed can be faster, but surely is a lot cleaner dependency tree.

And then there are tons of build failures because packages are old and/or
developers don't care too much for linking and dump libraries in random order
and random number into the link line and let the linker sort it out. But
sometimes a library looks unneeded and is only needed later -> boom. These
cases are easy to detect and disabled by changing the binutils default back
for these packages.

And then there are problems that will only appear during testing and those are
the most interesting:
* packages have broken configure checks and will silently disable features
that would be in without as-needed
* C++ code in shared libraries may depend on the correct order of
initializing static objects. This hit e.g. KDE years ago, as-needed
became popular enough long ago to don't make this a real problem.

So I would like to hear feedback on this. We have an alternative of course:
leaving binutils as it is and only set SUSE_ASNEEDED=1 in packages where we
expect real benefits. Or we set SUSE_ASNEEDED=0 in all packages creating a
build problem and you guys say we test enough to make as-needed useful.

Greetings, Stephan