[Fwd: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-factory] Plans and Issues for ATI fglrx Driver for 11.2?]
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:18:01 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-factory] Plans and Issues for ATI fglrx
Driver for 11.2?
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 13:31:14 -0500
From: David C. Rankin <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: suse <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
<20090410123829.GA3247@xxxxxxx> <49E84821.5000204@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<20090417100233.GA22234@xxxxxxx>

Stefan Dirsch wrote:
On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 04:13:05AM -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:
Stefan Dirsch wrote:
I don't see what the openSUSE community can do here. ATI is only
interested in bugs, if they affect and being reported by big vendors
like e.g. HP. But these big vendors are only interested in using
SLES/SLED.

Hmm..

Stefan, I'm not sure I follow here. Isn't openSuSE the forerunner for
what
will end up in SLES/SLED? If so, it just seems to make more sense from a
quality assurance perspective to address any issues at the beta (openSuSE)
stage before they end up having to (react) to problems with SLES/SLED. The
proactive/reactive issue. Moving the bug identification/resolution a bit
further upstream if you will.

The absolute crushing blow ATI is dealing its users by dropping support
for
all R300-R500 cards is simply amazing. Nvidia still provides support for all
it
cards with the legacy driver. If there is ever a contact at ATI it would be
worth suggesting a similar "legacy driver". That just seems like common
sense.
But then that too is uncommon in todays world. (i.e. a global economy built
on
"credit default swaps" -- give me a break...)

Hopefully we can find someone with a fglrx.com email address that will
entertain some candid feedback and suggestions instead of the current "linux
driver feedback" which from what I can tell == /dev/null

If you're interested in becoming a beta tester for the fglrx driver,
just let me know. Then you can play the proxy between the openSUSE
community and ATI and will notice that ATI ignores the feedback of
beta testers as well.

Best regards,
Stefan

Oh, Great?!

That's encouraging...

It seems that ATI commitment to its Linux driver program is superficial
at
best. That's is the real bottom line here. It's a "take what you get"
mentality. All of it's great lip service about wanting "Linux Driver Feedback"
and "being interest" in resolving driver issues, is not worth the silicon its
written on.

You have worked far more of these issues than I have, and we have worked
issues together through bugzilla at lease since late 2007, but I have never in
my life seen the absolute ignoring of Linux user driver problems than I have in
the past 6-8 months. As mentioned, I have filed ATI feedback cases on every
single release since 8-10, provided all logs, confs, hardware specks, and it is
very apparent that ATI hasn't lifted a finger to even try and identify the
issue. The only finger lifted was to hit the [del] key.

It has had a positive impact though. I will never purchase another
laptop with
ATI hardware in it.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.