Re: [opensuse-factory] Czech Packagers Meeting minutes 2009-04-07
  • From: Lars Müller <lmuelle@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 22:44:22 +0200
On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 09:14:27PM +0200, Michal Hrusecky wrote:
[ 8< ]
(3) Changelogs:
===============

mhrusecky is working on submiting new MySQL into factory. But this
package was for a long time maintained in separate repository in
BuildService and there was some changes in old package meantime. So
there is a problem how to merge changelogs. Currently the easiest way
seems to be to commit all changes in development branch as one changelog
entry to the old changelog and replace old package with a new one. But
this may occur more frequently with cooperation in BuildsSrvice so maybe
it would be good idea to have some formal rules how to solve such
situation.

We also discussed results from discussion on mailing list about
changelogs. Result from this discussion was that what we should write in
changelogs is only packaging changes and leave a note where to find
detail information about changes during package update.

From the Samba point of view we see the package change log as a strictly
monotonic increasing file.

Any missing change log hunks might cause questions by the users after an
update like "Have they not merged the older fix to this version?".

Think of

rpm -q --changelog <package name> >changelog.old
<zypper|yast|yum|smart package update action>
rpm -q --changelog <package name> >changelog.new

In this example case the "diff -u changelog.old changelog.new" should
only show additions (+) and no removal (-) of single change log lines.

Having this in mind we sometime add the same change log lines to
network:samba:TESTING as we did before to network:samba:STABLE without
any actual code change to network:samba:TESTING. The particular fix
might already be in there or the issue got fixed different.

Having a common and unique approach on this is a very good idea!

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
Samba Team