Re: [opensuse-factory] "sled_beta" mailing list
  • From: Oddball <monkey9@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 10:02:51 +0100
Andrew Joakimsen schreef:
On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 14:40, Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am Dienstag 25 November 2008 schrieb Andrew Joakimsen:

Hi:

I was wondering where is the "sled_beta" mailing list?

You're asking the wrong audience. Whoever gave you the download
URL for SLED, should have given you the other details too.

That person was Chuck Irwin <CIrwin@xxxxxxxxxx>, the "Beta Project
Manager" and I did attempt to contact him, but it says his email
address is invalid:

----- The following address had a permanent error -----
<CIrwin@xxxxxxxxxx>; originally to <cirwin@xxxxxxxxxx>
The recipient 'cirwin' is unknown at domain 'novell.com'.
----- the delivery transcript -----
Service not available, closing transmission channel

I am seriously thinking, as much as I like the distribution, to drop
any SUSE support much less test your products. You have people that
are willing to test and all they want in return is the ability to test
your product, a place to report bugs (unless you don't want that) and
a place to discuss it with other testers. This is Linux, there is no
huge "trade secret" at risk... you loose nothing and gain the world
over in terms of usability and debugging when you have a more open
beta test. Instead of welcoming them with open arms you make them jump
through hoops, insult them and are generally not cooperative. I
understand you must be busy, but how hard is it to point someone to a
mailing list and add them to the ACL by their Novell account? Notice I
am not just sending you the questions I actually have, I just want to
be told where to ask them.

When I say you, don't take it personally, I mean the collective of
Novell and SUSE people I have been dealing with. FWIW Chick was the
most helpful person, is that what you do, fire helpful people?

Warmest regards,

Andrew H. Joakimsen
P.S.: If you prefer, feel free to call me on +1.352.3782778

Helas i am also experiencing this atitude more and more lately...
I can imagine that these things are caused by the fact that far to few
people have to make things happen, as the aimed effect of M$, when it
took over SUSE from Novell earlier...(if you cann't beat them, buy
them).. seems they are closer to their goal now...: shut-, or at least,
slow down the speed of the developments of the openSUSE team...

Many people felt SUSE has become part of the 'enemy' now, and turned to
other distros..( a very nasty, and well-aimed side-effect)

So to few people, that have to make/want too many changes at once, which
is always almost impossible, but with this scenario, most certainly,
have to be aware of that, get used to that new fact, and act according
to it, (untill things change for the better again, if, in the worst
case, that will ever happen...)
What would be the most wanted right now, is creating the circumstances
to gain trust, and work hard.
(don't turn against people that want to help, and stay loyal, even now.
Everyone reacting in the mailinglists, means to help, from their point
of vieuw.
Sometimes that causes extra stress..
But it is all energy, to be bent, or transformed to be usefull.. ;)

Now the bugs that had to be out after alpha stage, appear in the last
betas, and the rc's..
This is not what we all wanted, i guess..

If we want to turn this tide, there is only one solution: stick
together, and DONOT want to make more changes than can be handled, to
close to rc stage...
Plan changes carefully, don't take too much hay on the fork, so to speak...

Please take these words to hearth, they are meant to heal, not to hurt.. ;)

(a loyal tester and bugseeker)

--

Enjoy your time around,

Oddball (M9.) (Now or never...)