Re: [opensuse-factory] Major Upgrade to Nvidia Driver for Video Playback
  • From: "Quentin Jackson" <Quentin.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 19:07:39 +1300
On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 21:49 -0800, Ben Kevan wrote:
On Thursday 20 November 2008 08:53:21 pm Basil Chupin wrote:

There is nothing easier to install nVidia drivers for ANY version of
openSUSE than doing following:

* make sure that you have 'kernel-source', 'make', and 'gcc' installed;

* download the nVidia driver from nVidia site
[http://www.nvidia.com/page/home.html];

* CTRL-ALT-F3 and login as root;

* then "cd /usr/src/linux" and then "make cloneconfig";

* init 3 and login as root (again);

* cd to the directory into which you downloaded the new nVidia driver;

* "nvidia-installer --uninstall" to get rid of the present driver (if
there is one - still do this even if you do or don't know if one is
installed [some will tell you to use "rmmod nvidia" but this doesn't
always work]);

* "sh NVIDIA<tab> [to get the full name of the latest driver] --- <RETURN>;

* respond to the prompts which come up, and after SAX2 has altered your
xorg.conf file....

* type "init 5" and login normally into your system.

Piece of cake.

Ciao.

--
Understanding only begins with the act of perception.

sudo /sbin/init 3
login as you
sudo sh NVIDIA...... (the full file name
Follow the on screen instructions
sudo init 5

You're good to go .. shouldn't be a reason to do a cloneconfig.

Ben

Excuse my ignorance and the lack of googling, but I've never quite
gotten the grasps of what cloneconfig was for anyway, can someone
explain?

Thanks, :)