[opensuse-factory] Re: Thoughts About the "Contrib" repository
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:03:43 +0100
Cristian Rodríguez <crrodriguez@xxxxxxx> writes:

Hi:

Even though I decided to contribute to the "Contrib" repository as a
reviewer and indeed think there is a sproblem with the repository
layout I still have a number of bad feelings, it smells bad for me,
sorry! Im going to summarize what I think is wrong with this idea.

From the organization point of view, it persist in the wrong way of
seeing community contributors as "second class" citizens, that needs a
separate repository, isolated from the main distribution, this is by far
my biggest concern.

I would love to have contribution for factory itself as well. What I
don't know yet is how the interaction should work. We currently need to
have a Novell packager to answer these questions:
* how to handle security updates? Some of these are confidential when
they get reported? How to ensure delivery?
* how to handle maintenance for enterprise products for these packages?

What kind of model could work here?

Nevertheless I think contrib is a good idea - it would allow some loser
rules than we have in factory and a full ownership by the community.

I think we want both ;)

[...]

Andreas
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany