[opensuse-factory] non-oss software on our media?
  • From: Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 16:09:58 +0200
Hi,

we discussed already once [1] the situation with proprietary software on
our distribution. We agreed on the list and in an IRC project meeting that
it's not nice but is very convenient for many users and should stay therefor
on media.

I'm opening the discussion again as with that we never will achieve a user
friendly licence as already copying of our software on DVD is not allowed and
even some mirrors have an issue with this licence. We receive on a regular
base inquiries in this regards and bad press [2].

Here is our proposal for new discussion.

*Ship any media of openSUSE with open source software and proprietary software
which allows redistribution (eg. firmware), for details [3].

*Add during installation automatically an online repo with the non-OSS stuff
and install per default flashplayer (5MB) and the fluendo plug-in (210K) for
mp3.

This would allow us to offer a user friendly end user licence agreement (EULA)
and would remove the cause of bad press and angry users reading the EULA
really carefully.

Some background info:
- survey of usage of proprietary[4] software showed that only flashplayer and
acroread really are used by a majority of users (Java is not an issue anymore
as we ship with 11.1 openJDK)
- with the distribution of 90%+ of broadband access amongst our users
flashplayer via online repo shouldn't be a problem. And without internet
access flashplayer won't be an issue for anybody.
- For acroread we're sure that the open source alternatives (kpdf, evince,
okular) are at same level with acroread. The only drawback we're aware of is
the missing functionality PDF Forms offers today.

We're asking for your buy-in for having a more friendly EULA, to make the
distribution of openSUSE easier and get the software in more hands.

BTW: we'll replace the proprietary agfa-fonts with the open source alternative
Liberation fonts with openSUSE 11.1.

Best
Michael

[1] http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2007-07/msg00050.html