Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE and Ubuntu's BulletBroof X
  • From: Stefan Dirsch <sndirsch@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 04:36:21 +0200
On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 08:06:02PM -0500, Rajko M. wrote:
On Sunday 21 September 2008 12:52:38 pm Stefan Dirsch wrote:
Why not boot into failsafe mode after having seen this confusing error
message "Login:" in the Linux console?

Which will give you the same login.

Which is wrong. It gives you a GUI. You didn't try it.

I would expect an
average user will notice that resolution, color depth, mouse, keyboard
ore touchpad settings are no longer optimal and he will change that by
using the appropriate YaST module (which is a frontend to SaX2). I
don't see the problem here.

Well this is possible if Failsafe will give you some GUI.

It does.

All our support is online.

You know that VESA is pretty safe bet.
If one installed openSUSE than VESA works.

While fiddling with xorg.conf.install is easy enough to describe, and I used
it to bail out few users in forums, adding few more fonts making
xorg.conf.vesa and starting X automatically with that, will make experience
much better.

xorg.conf.install, which we use for the 'x11failsafe' mode, is good
enough. Who the hell still relies on server side font rendering for
his desktop?

Best regards,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0 Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479 D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de Germany