Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE and Ubuntu's BulletBroof X
  • From: Lars Müller <lmuelle@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 22:55:47 +0200
On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 10:04:39PM +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:
[ 8< ]
I have no objection to a text with a brief analysis of the problem, that
would be nice; but I do object to firing sax automatically. I prefer
having an option. If it has to be this way, then I would want a sysconfig
variable to disable it.

That is what I tried to suggest with my initial mail.

The default suggestion - only if the X server fails to start - should be
"Start the tool to configure the graphical display mode?".

At this level no one cares if this is sax, sax2, sax3 or huckselgucks.
The question has to be simple and has to lead to start the configuration
tool a novice users is able to use.

Maybe even an automatic start after a reasonable timeout. Something like
60 seconds. But this is secondary.

But we have to lead the majority of users to a working X configuration.
The alternatives have been described in the thread several times.

The expert will decide "Don't start the configuration tool." and will be
lead to the non graphical login prompt. This type of users even will
know which log files to check. While the other might not know how to
deal with them at all.

This approach combined with a hint how to disable this mechanism by a
sysconfig setting should make both classes of users happy.

All this has to be kept as simple as possible without to many questions.

An additional sysconfig setting might even allow the experienced user to
enable automatic configuration mode without any timeout. Consider a
pool of systems booting from the same image. But the is a different
enhancement. Let us focus first on the worst case a non working X
configuration.

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]