Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE and Ubuntu's BulletBroof X
  • From: Stefan Dirsch <sndirsch@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 21:04:13 +0200
On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 02:27:25PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
On 2008/09/21 19:52 (GMT+0200) Stefan Dirsch composed:

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 12:17:47PM -0500, Rajko M. wrote:

Why not start VESA to have some GUI and then ask questions.

Why not boot into failsafe mode after having seen this confusing error
message "Login:" in the Linux console?

Once non-experinced user sees only login prompt, he's already in trouble, and
doesn't know how to reboot without power switch, reset button, or maybe CAD.

Doesn't matter how he reboots the machine.

Then too, does he have any idea what that failsafe mode is, or that it is a
means to fixing what broke?

IIRC Windows also has such a failsafe boot option, which starts the
GUI in a low resolution mode. So he likely can expect or at least hope
that openSUSE behaves similarly. AND after rebooting he has exactly
two openSUSE boot options. Chances are rather high, that he simply
tries failsafe this time before be reinstalls the system. I wouldn't
underestimate our user base here.

Then, running X with
configuration from installation (xorg.conf.install), I would expect an
average user will notice that resolution, color depth, mouse, keyboard
ore touchpad settings are no longer optimal

Don't be too sure he will notice anything at all, or that if he does notice
anything other than lack of speed, that he will recognize just what it is
that is different, or any need to reconfigure to reach whatever it is that
may be optimal.

Well, the idea of booting into failsafe is to fix the setup (in this
case "Graphics card & Monitor") and reboot again into normal
mode. Users know this procedure from Windows.

and he will change that by
using the appropriate YaST module (which is a frontend to SaX2). I
don't see the problem here.

Upthread info & Google indicate other distros [...] auto-start an
interactive X configurator.

BTW, we had this feature for a long time (I no longer remember the
details why we removed it, but it wasn't really appreciated and
considered important enough) and gdm does something similar.

Best regards,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0 Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479 D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de Germany