Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE and Ubuntu's BulletBroof X
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 12:17:47 -0500
On Sunday 21 September 2008 03:10:33 am Lars Müller wrote:

The question is how the question to the user should look like.  To me it
has to be as simple as possible and the default confirmation button must
lead to a working X again.  The 'no, I need the Eberhard whip' should
only be the non default, second option.

Why not start VESA to have some GUI and then ask questions.

We can handle users questions like:"Why Google Earth doesn't work?", but at
least we have user online, instead in front of terminal screen without clue
what to do.

When X fails with normal xorg.conf, instead of bailing out with error message,
just start it with xorg.conf.vesa. The xorg.conf.install is missing many
fonts, and that would be the only difference between them. That is possible
to implement for 11.1 as it really don't ask for much work.

Than later look how to start GUI with check what xorg.conf is running, and if
it is not the best one tell that to user and offer options. Even without
options, user will have clue that something is not OK before starting some 3D
application, or will recall message when application drags like molasses.

The principle can be extended to run proprietary driver first, than oss
driver, than VESA. The last option when VESA fails would be CLI, with large
scrollable instructions what to do. First of which would be how to come back
to that instructions, and than how to repair X.

It is good for everybody.
Old guard knows how to Ctrl-Alt-F1, but in case they need GUI instantly they
will heave it.

New guys can use net to get help without learning how to login, find in a
crystal ball that typing password in a text mode gives no visual fedback.
Than use crystal ball again to learn that apropos exist, how to use it, how to
wade trough sometimes large output, and the same about man, sax2, mutt,
links, TAB completion, and another 50 useful things.

All that in an hour they left to write homework, or just to see who is on
line, and then go to sleep, work, school, visit, whatever.

--
Regards, Rajko