Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE and Ubuntu's BulletBroof X
  • From: Robert Kaiser <KaiRo@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 14:55:02 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:
I'd prefer being asked before launching sax2.

Why? With what I wrote, you can still cancel it easily and have no
changes applied anywhere. Unknowing users are right in the mode where
they can correct the problem by usually just click something like "use
this proposed configuration" or however it's worded and it launches up
their usual graphical system right away. _That_ is user-friendliness.

Because chances are I may know better what to repair, and I do not want
to have to wait for sax to initialize its stuff before canceling it.

If you know that, you probably also know how to boot into runlevel 3, which won't even try to launch the X server and so will not end up trying to help you fix the startup failure by launching sax2 with those special notices.
And if you don't know how to boot into runlevel 3 instead of 5 though the bootloader, then you're probably unlikely to be manually able to fix that X bustage. And if you are, they I'm sure it's no problem spending those few seconds that sax2 launch takes and cancel it.

And rmember: serving what some people here seem to think of as "fools" is what made Windows so successful and is what we need to do if we ever want to have significant desktop market share.

Robert Kaiser