Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE and Ubuntu's BulletBroof X
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 20:17:14 -0400
On 2008/09/20 22:44 (GMT+0200) Eberhard Moenkeberg composed:

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008, Alexey Eremenko wrote:

Anyone who is changing his hardware this way and is not aware that he has
to do some configuration steps (very simple here: just call sax2) is a
fool.
And don't forget: serving fools just creates a new fool - you.

This is not true. A lot of users are migrating from Windows - and in
Windows it was always automatic, at least since Windows 95. (maybe
before...)

No. You almost always had run into trouble if you had forgotten to scale
down resolution to 640x480 before the hardware change.

In my experience, that was never necessary with W98+. In WinXP at least, it
drops back to no worse than its default 800x600, but is often smart enough to
get at least to 1024x768, and even better with competent DDC/EDID
availability. It won't necessarily find the optimum driver automatically for
the new hardware, but it won't stick you in an unusable state.

It must be automatic, without touching command-line at all.

Why not, but it is not necessary.

Because other distros do it? I just pulled a Fedora 4 (released July 2005)
SCSI HD out of one machine with ET6100 gfxcard the other day to stick in
another with G400 and didn't even think about the video difference. X came
right up in 1024x768 on a CRT. Then I changed its gfx card to a Radeon, and
it did just as well. Mandriva Cooker behaves similarly, on boot
automatically, without asking or opportunity to intervene, creating a brand
new xorg.conf from scratch and saving the old as xorg.conf.old. Knoppix
manages at least 9 times out of 10 to automatically give a working X just by
booting its CD. IIRC, *buntu was competent in this regard last I tested, but
since https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/129910 happened I've touched it little.

My preference would be for SaX2 to come up in interactive mode when new
gfxcard is detected.
--
"Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor
in vain." Psalm 127:1 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/