Re: [opensuse-factory] Just one question about plane to release openSUSE 11.0 with KDE 4.1
  • From: Martin Schlander <suse@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 10:08:17 +0100
Søndag den 9. Marts 2008 01:30:39 skrev Gerald Pfeifer:
On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Martin Schlander wrote:
If it were up to me I'd simply postpone release of 11.0 for 3-4 months
so we could not only have 4.1.0, but maybe 4.1.2 - and drop KDE3 as a
desktop. Of course some KDE3 apps would most likely still be needed.

Experience tells it hardly pays off to do some delay like this: First
of all, how about those openSUSE users who use different desktops such
as GNOME?

Of course you have a point, but keep in mind KDE users are >70%.

Personally I'm considering not moving to 11.0 on my main box until 4.1
is available in the BS.

Why couldn't you go to 11.0 but stick to KDE 3.x and move to 4.1 once
available in the Build Service? (Which is just another concrete example
of why the Build Service rocks, by the way! :-)

Just quite a bit of work first setting up everything in KDE3 and then move to
KDE4 a few weeks later, and also a little messy. So maybe it's better to just
wait.

On the other hand there's a risk that 4.1 won't meet my minimum requirements,
in that case waiting would be futile...

Probably a bit early for these discussions anyway. It's mostly speculation
about what may and may not happen at this point.