Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-factory (626 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-factory] Just one question about plane to release openSUSE 11.0 with KDE 4.1
  • From: Martin Schlander <suse@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 16:48:29 +0100
  • Message-id: <200803071648.30776.suse@xxxxxxxxxx>
Fredag den 7. Marts 2008 16:09:11 skrev Will Stephenson:
On Friday 07 March 2008, Martin Schlander said:
Personally I'm considering not moving to 11.0 on my main box until 4.1 is
available in the BS. Time will tell how good 4.0 can become. And how much
better 4.1 will actually be..

I'm interested to know, why do you think the plan that I summarized in my
earlier mail in this thread won't meet your needs?

The "killer bug" for me is plasma not giving me a desktop on my second screen
(tv-out). I'm aware that the issue is known and attended to. But with so many
issues I don't dare be optimistic that it'll be fixed in time.

Other than that it's just the sum of all the lack of polish and maturity,
minor bugs and annoyances here and there, missing gui-configuration etc.,
that makes me think it might be better to avoid the hassle and wait 1½ months
and then install 4.1 from the beginning as far as my primary box goes.

I'll start testing 11.0 with alpha3 and posting my feedback to bugzilla and
the kde-list. And I'll definitely install 11.0 on my play-lappy the second
it's available, and probably also install it on the test partition of my

It's also entirely possible that enough improvements will be made in time, or
that the new libzypp will compensate for any problems with KDE4.x. But for
now staying on 10.3 for an extra 1½-2 months is an option that I'm

But actually I also doubt that 4.1 plasma will come very close to
kicker+kdesktop feature and configuration parity with only ~2 months until
feature freeze. :-(

To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-factory+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
For additional commands, e-mail: opensuse-factory+help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

< Previous Next >
Follow Ups