[opensuse-factory] status report distribution week 5
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 13:51:09 +0100
Hi,

It's alpha week again - that's when Factory is the most broken :)

- we still have ~70 build failures - 68 on x86_64 - 76 on ppc
- ppc's issue with libqt4 was resolved, so ppc might be in a
better shape with alpha2, but we could not yet test it
- Installation was reworked even more - alpha2 will be a big
test case. I hope to finish a set of screenshots _before_
the news site do :)
- there was heavy work on updating GNOME towards 2.20 and
KDE4 towards 4.01
- sax2 is still flacky on live images - we hope to get that
ironed out before alpha2, so we have live CDs too (that might
only fit on DVDs for now though)
- the x86_64 CDs of both KDE and GNOME will no longer carry
32bit packages supporting 32bit plugins. It was just no longer
possible to support 700MB.
- I reworked the patterns (once more) for 11.0, which will have
two pretty dramatic consequences:
* KDE4 will be the default KDE (with an option to revert
that back to KDE3 when it turns out to be just too much pain)
* the DVD5 does not have any non-oss software on it - this will
allow for a simplified EULA - the non-oss medium will continue
to have the old EULA then

Greetings, Stephan