Re: [opensuse-factory] beagle
  • From: "M9." <monkey9@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 08:38:35 +0100

Christian Jäger schreef:
The problem is that this whole Beagle-debate that we had in the early
days quickly turned into a question of belief. Some swear Beagle is the
root of all evi... ah, slowness, some don't see what the fuss is all
about.

And we have/had the 'initial indexing' problem where people deinstall
Beagle directly after installation which of course gives them a
speed-up. But they (so is my opinion) would have experienced the same if
they'd just waited it out.

So, agreeing with Rajko M., unless a credible source provides benchmarks
that show a _considerable_ performance-drawback caused by Beagle, I
think there is no objective reason to dump it from the default
installation.

Greets,
Chris

Over here Beagled uses 0.7 % CPU, and 0.1% Memory.
You do not even notice it is there.

I agree with all those people about the start index with beagle, is
realy disastrous.
It is such a drag, not to be able touse the mouse.. :-(
But if all is indexed, it just has to keep up with what is added to it..

It might be not bad idea, to give beagle only to work in the
background, and full, when no other activity is present, like 'away from
pc', no mouse movements for 'x' minutes, like screensaver..
But whenever the user moves, it must imediately stop the activities, and
go low profile.
I find it amazing to see, how fast, and the kind of info it comes with...
I think it is a usefull toy, and not only for them who have 'all their
files organised'.. like me.. ;-)

- --

Have a nice day,

M9. Now, is the only time that exists.

OS: Linux 2.6.24-rc7-git5-2-default x86_64
Huidige gebruiker: monkey9@tribal-sfn2
Systeem: openSUSE 11.0 (x86_64) Alpha0
KDE: 3.5.8 "release 34"