Re: [opensuse-factory] Is it possible to completely do without Gnome?
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 19:53:19 -0600
On Wednesday 02 January 2008 03:40:44 am Andreas Jaeger wrote:
"M9." <monkey9@xxxxxx> writes:
Hi,

I upgraded all pkgs manualy choosen..
When trying to get rid of gnome, this was impossible...
Very anoying, to have to install pkgs and apps to your system, you never
use, just to fullfill deps.

Which packages exactly are on your system that you want to get rid of?

Is there a way to check which gnome specific pkgs are realy needed to
run suse?
I am satisfied with KDE and if xfce is dependable on gnome, i will get
rid of it also.

I want to run a 'gnomeclean' KDE environment.
Is this possible?
(strange that these have to be mixed to function anyway.)

This way i am forced to 'check' gnome also, which i do not want.

You should not need to check the GNOME pattern at all

It is silly, that it is not possible to update a system, due to an
invalid DE, one not wants to use, don't you agree?

There are packages like flashplayer, acrobat reader and gimp that use
the gtk libraries - are you speaking about these? Or what is your
problem? A lot of libraries are kind of system libraries, you cannot
get rid of them,

Andreas

Let me jump in, as I had the same problem.
I don't use GNOME, but I guess that I have almost all installed. I laughed
when Metacity and evolution data server were listed as dependency, but I had
no time to play with, so I just let zypper install everything. I can't recall
what pulled them in, but I'll try to see is there anything in zypper log.

Last time it happened with Beagle, some time ago. Joe Shaw was puzzled as
Beagle has no so many dependencies. That time I had time to play and remove
all that wasn't direct dependency. Though it is install all then remove those
that are not listed as direct dependency.

--
Regards,
Rajko