Re: [opensuse-factory] Printing in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: Magnus Boman <captain.magnus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 00:32:54 +1100
On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 14:13 +0100, Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mar 9 22:17 Magnus Boman wrote (shortened):
> > On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 11:51 +0100, Johannes Meixner wrote:
> > >
> > > How often does a home user set up a printer?
> >
> > When it comes to a USB printer, how about every time it's
> > disconnected/connected?? I've got a HP Photosmart printer at home. If I
> > configure it (with root), then I can print. But if I turn it off and
> > then back on, cups will show it as online, but when I print to it,
> > nothing will happen.
>
> A bug somewhere in your hardware, in USB or in HPLIP or whatever.
> A bug must be fixed where it is and not by a workaround via
> re-setup every time the hardware is disconnected/connected.
> For the resulting pronblems with such a re-setup, see the
> previous mails in this thread.

Fair enough. I'll make an effort to report this bug.

> > > A normal user can change and store his own printer specific
> > > settings in his ~/.lpoptions (CUPS 1.1) or ~/.cups/lpoptions
> > > (CUPS 1.2) file usually via the various printing dialog tools
> > > (kprinter, gtklp, xpp, lpoptions) but not via the various
> > > printer setup tools (which do the admin-related stuff).
> >
> > Will a normal user know about these files?
>
> I wrote "via the various printing dialog tools".
> If a normal user does not know how to use the printing dialog
> tools, there is something to do on the desktop/application layer.

You wrote *usually* via the various printing tools. But at least we're
going somewhere here since you admit that if a user does not know how to
do something, we need to make a change somewhere. And that's where this
discussion started.

> Kind Regards
> Johannes Meixner

I noticed that you didn't comment on the OpenOffice, Acrobat Reader
issues that I also had in this mail. I know that this is not a cups
issue, but it's still worth remembering in this discussion.

Kinder regards,
Magnus