Re: [opensuse-factory] Boot speed and services
  • From: Magnus Boman <captain.magnus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 22:29:19 +1100
On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 12:21 +0100, jdd wrote:
> Magnus Boman wrote:
>
> > One of my colleges in the office installed a windows box less than a
> > week ago, to try to reproduce an issue that his customers had. He then
> > left it overnight (the machine is sitting behind a firewall and the only
> > access to the internet will be NATed) and when he came back the next
> > day, he had viruses all over the place.
> > All he did was to install the box. He didn't use it at all. But viruses
> > (worms, whatever) still manage to get in there...
> > So, as a security measure, always take the necessary precautions. If
> > we're not targeted today, we might be tomorrow!
>
> may be somebody used it when it turned back...

No, this was in his own vmware session and nobody would have used that
machine.

> I have a windows box very often on 24/24 and never get a virus (never
> get one I don't dl myself)

I hope you have the latest anti-virus stuff and all the latest patches
installed on there.

> may be also what your friends see like a virus if the normal windows
> way of like (spyware are common on regular windows applications)

No, this was a virus. I can find out exactly which virus it was if you
want to.

The point is, sad but true, that if you install a windows box and don't
apply the latest patches straight away, together with an anti-virus
program, you will get viruses on there without even browsing the
internet!

> jdd

/Magnus