Re: [opensuse-factory] Boot speed and services
  • From: Magnus Boman <captain.magnus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 21:43:37 +1100
On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 11:36 +0100, Martin Schlander wrote:
> Den Thursday 08 March 2007 23:52:14 skrev Christian Boltz:
> > > AppArmor has no running daemon
> >
> > It loads the profiles on boot.
> > But: I prefer security over saving a second of boot time ;-)
>
> Maybe you should unplug your internet connection then ;-)
>
> It's overkill for home desktop users imo, which make up the majority of users
> I expect.

It might be overkill at present time, but... See what's happening with
windows...
One of my colleges in the office installed a windows box less than a
week ago, to try to reproduce an issue that his customers had. He then
left it overnight (the machine is sitting behind a firewall and the only
access to the internet will be NATed) and when he came back the next
day, he had viruses all over the place.
All he did was to install the box. He didn't use it at all. But viruses
(worms, whatever) still manage to get in there...
So, as a security measure, always take the necessary precautions. If
we're not targeted today, we might be tomorrow!

Cheers,
Magnus