Re: [opensuse-factory] Printing in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 16:53:03 +0100
On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 10:46:37AM -0500, JP Rosevear wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 16:39 +0100, Johannes Meixner wrote:
> > Hello,

> > > The situtation is the end user doesn't want to type in a password
> > > to do simple operations.
> >
> > Frommy point of viwe it seems from mail to mail
> > you change the issue (it started with USB printers,
> > became network printers, now it is about typing passwords)
> > and it seems you still don't tell the whole story.
>
> No, the user should not need root to include any printers, I just didn't
> explicitly call out network printers to begin with and I should have.

> > > Because its what most users expect and want, even many linux ones.
> >
> > I am afraid but it seems now we are at a dead end.
>
> Why exactly are we at a dead end? We agreed in the dist meeting not
> needing root to configure a printer was a valid use case.

Correct.

We also agreed on:

- Either do full automatic configuration on plugin / detection,
if necessary driven by a database of known good printer <-> configuration
mappings
or:
- Ask for the root password.

Any interaction channel between desktop user and higher privileged
processes should be protected by the root password.

Ciao, Marcus